« PreviousContinue »
2. Find the decimal expression of 16s. 41d. and 17s.
A short and easy method to find the value of any deci nal of a pound by inspection.
Double the first figure, or place of tenths for shillings, and if the second figure be 5, or more than 5, reckon another shilling; then, after this 5 is deducted, call the figures in the second and third places so many farthings, abating 1 when they are above 12, and 2 when above 36, and the result will be the answer.
NOTE. When the decimal has but 2 figures, if any thing remains after the shillings are taken out, a cypher must be annexed to the left hand, or supposed to be so,
1. Find the value of £.,679, by inspection. 12s.double of 6
for the 5 in the second place which is to be Add 74d. 29 farthings remain to be added. [deducted out of 7. Deduct 4d. for the excess of 12.
Ans. 13s. 7d.
2. Find the value of £.,876 by inspection.
Ans. 17s. 61d.
3. Find the value of £.,842 by inspection.
4. Find the value of £,097 by inspection.
Ans. 16s. 10d.
Ans. 1s. 114d.
REDUCTION OF CURRENCIES.
FOR reducing the Currencies of the several United
To reduce the currencies of the different states, where a dollar is an even number of shillings, to Federal Money.
New-York, & Z
1. When the sum consists of pounds only, annex a cypher to the pounds, and divide by half the number of shillings in a dollar; the quotient will be dollars.t
2. But if the sum consists of pounds, shillings, pence, &c. bring the given sum into shillings, and reduce the pence and farthings to a decimal of a shilling; annex said decimal to the shillings, with a decimal point between, then divide the whole by the number of shillings contained in a dollar, and the quotient will be dollars, cents, mills, &c.
*Formerly the pound was of the same sterling value in all the colonies as in Great-Britain, and a Spanish Dollar worth 4s6-but the legislatures of the different colonies emitted bills of credit, which afterwards depreciated in their value, ir some states more, in others less, &c.
Thus a dollar is reckoned in
Adding a cypher to the pounds, multiplies the whole by 10, bringing them into tenths of a pound; then because a dollar is just three-tenths of a pound N. E. currency, divi'ding those tenths by 3, brings them into dollars, &c. See Note, page 85.
1. Reduce 75l. New-England and Virginia Currency, to Federal Money.
$245 243 SS 2. Reduce 451. 15s. 74d. New-England currency, to [federal money.
NOTE. 1 farthing is ,25) which annex to the pence, ,50 and divide by 12, you will ,75 have the decimal required. 3. Reduce 345l. 10s. 114d. New-Hampshire, &c. currency, to Spanish milled dollars, or federal money. £345 10 114 20
4. Reduce 105l. 14s. Sąd. New-York and Nortn-Care lina currency, to federal money.
£105 14 31
$264,289 06 Ans.
5. Reduce 4311. New-York currency to federal money. This being pounds only.*
of a pound;
*A dollar is 8s. in this currency-,4 therefore, multiply by 10, and divide by 4, brings the pounds into dollars, &c.
6. Reduce 28. 11s. 6d. New-England and Virginia
11. Change 219l. 11s. 73d. New-England and Vir-
1. 13. Bring 20l. 18s. 53d. New-England currency, into
Ans. $11, 11cts. 1m.
To reduce the currency of New-Jersey, Pennsylvania,
Multiply the given sum by 8, and divide the product by S, and the quotient will be dollars, &c.*
1. Reduce 2451. New-Jersey, &c. currency, to federal
*A dollar is 7s. 6d.=90d. in this currency== 3 of a pound; therefore, multiplying by 8, and dividing by 3, gives the dollars, cents, &c.
given sum, reduce them to the decimal of a pound, then multiply and divide as above, &c.
2. Reduce 36l. 11s. 8d. New-Jersey, &c. currency, to federal money. £36,5854 decimal value.
5)292,6832(97,56106 Ans. ANSWERS. £. s. d.
3. Re uce 240 0 0 to federal money 640 00
5. Reduce 99
265 00 5 +
2 36 6,6
To reduce the currency of South-Carolina and Georgia, to federal money.
Multiply the given sum by 50, and divide the product by 7, the quotient will be the dollars, cents, &c.*
1. Reduce 100l. South-Carolina and Georgia currency, to federal money.
1007.×30=3000; 3000÷7=$428,5714 Ans. 2. Reduce 54l. 16s. 9. Georgia currency, to federal 54,8406 decimal expression.
£• s. d.
3. Reduce 94 14
$ cts. m. 8 to federal money, 405 99 8+ 61
85 18 7+ 1790 25 602 14 2+ 685 71 4
*4s. 8d. or 56d to the dollar=5=3% of a pound;