« PreviousContinue »
REDUCTION OF CURRENCIES.
FOR reducing the Currencies of the several United States into Federal Money.
To reduce the currencies of the different states, where a dollar is an even number of shillings, to Federal Money.
New-York, and Į
1. When the sum consists of pounds only, annex a cypher to the pounds, and divide by half the number of shillings in a dollar; the quotient will be dollars.t
2. But if the sum consists of pounds, shillings, pence, &c. bring the given sum into shillings, and reduce the pence and farthings to a decimal of a shilling; annex said decimal to the shillings, with a decimal point between, then divide the whole by the number of shillings contained in a dollar, and the quotient will be dollars, cents, mills, &c.
*Formerly the pound was of the same sterling value in all the colonies as in Great-Britain, and a Spanish Dollar worth 456-but the legislatures of the different colonies emitted bills of credit, which afterwards depreciated in their value, in some states more, in others less, &c.
Thus a dollar is reckoned in
N. Carolina. S:
Adding a cypher to the pounds, multiplies the whole by 10, bringing them into tenths of a pound; then because a dollar is just three-tenths of a pound N. E. currency, divi'ding those tenths by 3, brings them into dollars, &c. See Note, page 85.
1. Reduce 75l. New-England and Virginia Currency,
to Federal Money.
2. Reduce 451. 15s. 7d. New-England currency, to
NOTE. 1 farthing is ,25) which annex to the pence, ,50and divide by 12, you will ,75 have the decimal required. 3. Reduce 345l. 10s. 114d. New-Hampshire, &c. currency, to Spanish milled dollars, or federal money. £345 10 113 20
4. Reduce 105l. 14s. 34d. New-York and North-Caro hina currency, to federal money. £105 14 32
5. Reduce 4311. New-York currency to federal money.
This being pounds only.*
*A dollar is 8s. in this currency-,4 of a pound; therefore, multiply by 10, and divide by 4, brings the pounds into dollars, &c.
6. Reduce 28. 11s. 6d. New-England and Virginia currency, to federal money. Ans. $95,25cts.
7. Change 4651. 10s. 8d. New-England, &c. currency, to federal money. Ans. 81545, 11cts. 1m.+
8. Reduce 35%. 19s. Virginia, &c. currency, to federal
Ans. $119, 83cts. 3m.+
money. 9. Reduce 214l. 10s. 7d. New-York, &c. currency, to federal money. Ans. $536, 32cts. 8m.+
10. Reduce 304l. 11s. 5d. North-Carolina, &c. currency, to federal money. Ans. $761, 42cts. 7m.+
11. Change 219l. 11s. 73d. New-England and Virginia currency, to federal money. Ans. 8731,94cts.+ 12. Change 2411. New-England, &c. currency, into federal money. Ans. $803, 33cts.
13. Bring 201. 18s. 53d. New-England currency, into dollars. Ans. 869, 74cts. 64m.+ 14. Reduce 4687. New-York currency, to federal moAns. 1170 15. Reduce 17s. 93d. New-York, &c. currency, to dollars, &c. Ans. $2, 22cts. 6,5m.+ 16. Borrowed 10 English crowns, at 6s. 8d. each, how many dollars at 6s. each, will pay the debt? Ans. 11, 11cts. 1m. NOTE.-There are several short practical methods of reducing New-England and New-York currencies to Fed, eral Money, for which see the Appendix.
To reduce the currency of New-Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, to Federal Money.
Multiply the given sum by 8, and divide the product by 3, and the quotient will be dollars, &c.*
1. Reduce 2451. New-Jersey, &c. currency, to federal money.
£245x8-1960, and 1960-÷3-86554-8653, 354cts. NOTE. When there are shillings, pence, &c. in the
*A dollar is 7s. 6d.=90d. in this currency=203 of a pound; therefore, multiplying by 8, and dividing by 3, gives the dollars, cents, &c.
given sum, reduce them to the decimal of a pound, then multiply and divide as above, &c.
2. Reduce 36l. 11s. 8d. New-Jersey, &c. currency, to federal money. £36,5854 decimal value.
265 00 5 +
266 66 6+
67 14 4
2 36 6,6
To reduce the currency of South-Carolina and Georgia, to federal money. RULE.
Multiply the given sum by 30, and divide the product by 7, the quotient will be the dollars, cents, &c.*
1. Reduce 100l. South-Carolina and Georgia currency, to federal money.
100l. ×30=3000; 3000÷7=$428,5714 Ans. 2. Reduce 54l. 16s. 944. Georgia currency, to federal 54,8406 decimal expression.
*4s. 8d. or 56d to the dollar of a pound;
To reduce the currency of Canada and Nova-Scotia, to
Multiply the given sum by 4, the product will be dollars. NOTE. Five shillings of this currency are equal to a dollar; consequently 4 dollars make one pound.
1. Reduce 125l. Canada and Nova-Scotia currency, to federal money.
2. Reduce 55l. 10s. 6d. Nova-Scotia currency, to dol55,525 decimal value.
For reducing the Federal Money to the currencies of the several United States.
To reduce Federal Money to the currency of
Multiply the given sum by 3
and the product will be pounds and decimals of a pound.